PONTIANAK, INDONESIA (THE EQUATOR CITY)
10:21 PMJune 2017. The holiday comes again. Supposed to be home for Gawai Celebration (Harvest festival for the Dayak), instead I decided to take this chance to visit another part of Borneo. Pontianak, Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia.
I planned the trip 2 weeks before I left. Contacted my friends Ferdinand Hidayat and Veronika Kristianti, they are good friends I met last year when they visited Kuching, Sarawak. I was invited to visit Pontianak in December 2016 but couldn't accept the invitation at that time. So I guess Gawai holiday is the right time to get back on the road.
To go to Pontianak, Indonesia you either fly or you can go by land from Tebedu, Malaysia- Indonesia Border. I did my research on what to do and where to go, but there is very limited information about Pontianak on the internet. I searched in Indonesian and Malaysian language but you will only read the same things. "tempat menarik di Pontianak Indonesia", " wisata Pontianak Kalimantan Barat" ... the same information. I haven't discovered all of Pontianak but I'm sure visiting this place is worth the long bus ride. Since this is my first visit, I promised myself I have to come back for more and discover the hidden paradise of Borneo. There's so many things and places to discover but so little times, I even extended my stay for one more day because I have falled in love with this place and the people.
Planning.
First, I let my friends know about my visit and I was delighted when they say they can host me. (always have a positive circle around the world). Next thing I did was to try to find a bus ticket. I am not bothered to check from Bintulu bus terminal as I am flying to Kuching from Bintulu on May 31st, which means the bus ticket must be obtained from the place of departure. The only way I can get a ticket early before my trip was to find it online. I look it up online and yes I found that Bas Asia company is on Red Bus online ticket booking. Bas Asia is the bus that travel from Kuching to Pontianak. I had a little concern that I won't be able to get the ticket over the counter and that can ruin everything. Especially during the holiday season, Gawai Celebration and Ramadahan for the Muslim. Red Bus is a good place to book bus ticket online and you might need to install the app into your phone because usually they have good promotion if you use their app, they give lots of discount codes. And it is a must have app if you are traveling in Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Singapore, Peru and Colombia.
Bus fare from Kuching to Pontianak is around MYR60-MYR70 depends on which bus you are taking. Booking from Red Bus, I got my return ticket Kuching-Pontianak-Kuching for only MYR70. That was incredibly cheap like MYR35 for each way.
As I am using Malaysia International Passport, I am allowed to be in Indonesia for 30 days. Visa fee waived.
As for money and ATM cards. I went to the ATM machines Maybank and CIMB Bank to activate my overseas withdrawal. This way you will not be charged if you go to the same bank in a country you are going to visit. For this trip I only bought MYR300= IDR 1,000,000.00 Travel currency from CIMB bank. As they have good rates compare to money changer outside and it is easy for me to get the exchanged currency from Kuching Airport. No hidden charges.
Bintulu to Kuching.
I travelled from Bintulu to Kuching by flight on May 31st. Gawai eve. A feeling of going home for Gawai but to a different direction. Installed Uber and GrabCar app on my phone so it i easier and cheaper to travel aroung Kuching. Took an Uber ride to my hostel that i booked from Booking.com . In Kuching, I stayed at The Radioman Heritage Hostel. Good place for one night stay. Had the dormitory all to myself. I have few hours to walk around Kuching. Oh man, you do not know, how much I had missed this city. I took a GrabCar to Vivacity Mall just to kill times. The road was busy as usual though it is Gawai Eve. I can tell there were few Dayak people doing last minute Gawai Shopping.
That evening I went to have dinner at Borneo Delight just next door to Radioman Heritage Hostel. The food was simple and nice. Most importantly it was very cheap. After I had finished my pineapple fried rice and a carrot juice I walked back to the hostel. I need to have enough rest as tomorrow would be an early start.
Kuching to Pontianak, Indonesia.
0600 am, June 1st 2017. I took a Grabcar to go to Kuching Sentral. The Grabcar was very cheap as I used promotional code. Arrived early and the place is full with people waiting for counters to be opened. Went to Biaramas Bas Asia counter and asked about my Red Bus online booking. They said I have to wait for the bus counter to open as I need a printed ticket from the counter. Waited for a while and the lady came and printed my tickets then I checked in at the first counter I went to. It was still early and I can see few Indonesian Chinese, Malays and Dayak checking-in.
Went inside the bus. I was bringing a 40L rucksack and another small bagpack. I did not put my bag in the bus cargo compartment instead I brought it in with me and it fits perfectly inside the overhead compartment. The smaller bagpack I keep it next to me all the time.
In the bus, there was a Chinese lady who speaks Indonesian with the bus driver. She was holding a green Indonesia passport and three red Malaysian Passports for her kids. I know that she is from Indonesia and going back to Indonesia with her Malaysian kids for holiday. French couple were sitting few rows behind me. They seemed not very friendly or maybe it was too early for them. The bus left the terminal building exactly around 0710 am heading to Serian. We arrived at Serian around 0800. I travelled during Ramadhan (fasting month for the Muslim), I was a little bit concern about not getting any food along the way so I bought nasi lemak from Serian bus terminal.
Not long after stopping at Serian, we finally move! Destination: Malaysia- Indonesia border in Tebedu- Entikong which is approximately 1 hour from Serian Town.
I was totally amazed by how big the differences between Malaysia and Indonesia Immigration and Custom border complex. Everything is new and clean in Indonesia side. I was really impressed by how tight the security there.
Tips: Do not buy simcard from the border. You can get a proper internet simcard for a very cheap price in Pontianak. I bought mine for MYR15.00 and yes of course I can use internet but when I have finally arrived in Pontianak bus terminal, I don't have any internet data left. So it is not an internet package simcard. I was cheated when my friend told me he can find a simcard that has internet package.
I would recommend to buy Telkomsel (SimPATI)
My journey continue and after an hour or maybe an hour and a half, we reached at a place called Roda Minang ( a very famous stop for everyone who travel in across this two countries) This place serve traditional Malay and Padang food. I went out from the bus and used the toilet. Now, I really feel like in a different country. The toilet system is very different as they don't have good water supply so every toilet has a water basin.
Advice: Do not drink or rinse your mouth using tap water/ tank water. Please buy bottled water.
I arrived at the bus terminal. I was trying to contact my friends but my internet data has run out. I just waited for Ferdinand since Veronika was still in Yogyakarta and landed in Pontianak at the same time I have arrived at the terminal. Ferdinand came after an hour with his friends Dion Kalisputra, Angela Rita and Nopian. They brought me to a place where they serve a very nice noodle. The place feels homely and it seemed to me like a home business but for them it is a normal cafe and that is just how it looks like. I ordered something similar to Kolo Mee in Sarawak and Wonton Mee but it tasted very different and I am missing it and definitely coming back for it.
Before going home, they drove me around the city of Pontianak. Then we decided to find street food at the Bazaar Ramadan near the biggest mosque in Pontianak- Masjid Mujahidin. I was wearing short and I was a bit concern about respecting the place and the events. My visit was during the Ramadhan (fasting month for the Muslims) so they are many vendors selling foods and products in conjunction with the month of Ramadhan and preparation for Syawal (Idul Fitri). Finally it was time to go back to Dinand's home (my home for the next few days). I was introduced to Om and Tante (Dinand's parents) I love them so much. Tante made very nice meals for me during my stay. I am very grateful to be accepted as part of the family. Dinand lives with his parents and his younger brother and sister.
Veronika arrived that evening straight from her home after the airport to Dinand's house to see me. I was so excited! Then we chatted for a while joined by Dinand's mom and she made us really nice black coffee (#favouritecoffee). Dinand and Veronika took me out in a truck to a place called Bamboo cafe where they serve Nasi Ayam Penyet. (it was different and really nice as well)
Planning.
First, I let my friends know about my visit and I was delighted when they say they can host me. (always have a positive circle around the world). Next thing I did was to try to find a bus ticket. I am not bothered to check from Bintulu bus terminal as I am flying to Kuching from Bintulu on May 31st, which means the bus ticket must be obtained from the place of departure. The only way I can get a ticket early before my trip was to find it online. I look it up online and yes I found that Bas Asia company is on Red Bus online ticket booking. Bas Asia is the bus that travel from Kuching to Pontianak. I had a little concern that I won't be able to get the ticket over the counter and that can ruin everything. Especially during the holiday season, Gawai Celebration and Ramadahan for the Muslim. Red Bus is a good place to book bus ticket online and you might need to install the app into your phone because usually they have good promotion if you use their app, they give lots of discount codes. And it is a must have app if you are traveling in Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Singapore, Peru and Colombia.
Bus fare from Kuching to Pontianak is around MYR60-MYR70 depends on which bus you are taking. Booking from Red Bus, I got my return ticket Kuching-Pontianak-Kuching for only MYR70. That was incredibly cheap like MYR35 for each way.
As I am using Malaysia International Passport, I am allowed to be in Indonesia for 30 days. Visa fee waived.
As for money and ATM cards. I went to the ATM machines Maybank and CIMB Bank to activate my overseas withdrawal. This way you will not be charged if you go to the same bank in a country you are going to visit. For this trip I only bought MYR300= IDR 1,000,000.00 Travel currency from CIMB bank. As they have good rates compare to money changer outside and it is easy for me to get the exchanged currency from Kuching Airport. No hidden charges.
Bintulu to Kuching.
I travelled from Bintulu to Kuching by flight on May 31st. Gawai eve. A feeling of going home for Gawai but to a different direction. Installed Uber and GrabCar app on my phone so it i easier and cheaper to travel aroung Kuching. Took an Uber ride to my hostel that i booked from Booking.com . In Kuching, I stayed at The Radioman Heritage Hostel. Good place for one night stay. Had the dormitory all to myself. I have few hours to walk around Kuching. Oh man, you do not know, how much I had missed this city. I took a GrabCar to Vivacity Mall just to kill times. The road was busy as usual though it is Gawai Eve. I can tell there were few Dayak people doing last minute Gawai Shopping.
That evening I went to have dinner at Borneo Delight just next door to Radioman Heritage Hostel. The food was simple and nice. Most importantly it was very cheap. After I had finished my pineapple fried rice and a carrot juice I walked back to the hostel. I need to have enough rest as tomorrow would be an early start.
Kuching to Pontianak, Indonesia.
0600 am, June 1st 2017. I took a Grabcar to go to Kuching Sentral. The Grabcar was very cheap as I used promotional code. Arrived early and the place is full with people waiting for counters to be opened. Went to Biaramas Bas Asia counter and asked about my Red Bus online booking. They said I have to wait for the bus counter to open as I need a printed ticket from the counter. Waited for a while and the lady came and printed my tickets then I checked in at the first counter I went to. It was still early and I can see few Indonesian Chinese, Malays and Dayak checking-in.
Went inside the bus. I was bringing a 40L rucksack and another small bagpack. I did not put my bag in the bus cargo compartment instead I brought it in with me and it fits perfectly inside the overhead compartment. The smaller bagpack I keep it next to me all the time.
In the bus, there was a Chinese lady who speaks Indonesian with the bus driver. She was holding a green Indonesia passport and three red Malaysian Passports for her kids. I know that she is from Indonesia and going back to Indonesia with her Malaysian kids for holiday. French couple were sitting few rows behind me. They seemed not very friendly or maybe it was too early for them. The bus left the terminal building exactly around 0710 am heading to Serian. We arrived at Serian around 0800. I travelled during Ramadhan (fasting month for the Muslim), I was a little bit concern about not getting any food along the way so I bought nasi lemak from Serian bus terminal.
Not long after stopping at Serian, we finally move! Destination: Malaysia- Indonesia border in Tebedu- Entikong which is approximately 1 hour from Serian Town.
I was totally amazed by how big the differences between Malaysia and Indonesia Immigration and Custom border complex. Everything is new and clean in Indonesia side. I was really impressed by how tight the security there.
Tips: Do not buy simcard from the border. You can get a proper internet simcard for a very cheap price in Pontianak. I bought mine for MYR15.00 and yes of course I can use internet but when I have finally arrived in Pontianak bus terminal, I don't have any internet data left. So it is not an internet package simcard. I was cheated when my friend told me he can find a simcard that has internet package.
I would recommend to buy Telkomsel (SimPATI)
My journey continue and after an hour or maybe an hour and a half, we reached at a place called Roda Minang ( a very famous stop for everyone who travel in across this two countries) This place serve traditional Malay and Padang food. I went out from the bus and used the toilet. Now, I really feel like in a different country. The toilet system is very different as they don't have good water supply so every toilet has a water basin.
Advice: Do not drink or rinse your mouth using tap water/ tank water. Please buy bottled water.
I arrived at the bus terminal. I was trying to contact my friends but my internet data has run out. I just waited for Ferdinand since Veronika was still in Yogyakarta and landed in Pontianak at the same time I have arrived at the terminal. Ferdinand came after an hour with his friends Dion Kalisputra, Angela Rita and Nopian. They brought me to a place where they serve a very nice noodle. The place feels homely and it seemed to me like a home business but for them it is a normal cafe and that is just how it looks like. I ordered something similar to Kolo Mee in Sarawak and Wonton Mee but it tasted very different and I am missing it and definitely coming back for it.
Before going home, they drove me around the city of Pontianak. Then we decided to find street food at the Bazaar Ramadan near the biggest mosque in Pontianak- Masjid Mujahidin. I was wearing short and I was a bit concern about respecting the place and the events. My visit was during the Ramadhan (fasting month for the Muslims) so they are many vendors selling foods and products in conjunction with the month of Ramadhan and preparation for Syawal (Idul Fitri). Finally it was time to go back to Dinand's home (my home for the next few days). I was introduced to Om and Tante (Dinand's parents) I love them so much. Tante made very nice meals for me during my stay. I am very grateful to be accepted as part of the family. Dinand lives with his parents and his younger brother and sister.
Veronika arrived that evening straight from her home after the airport to Dinand's house to see me. I was so excited! Then we chatted for a while joined by Dinand's mom and she made us really nice black coffee (#favouritecoffee). Dinand and Veronika took me out in a truck to a place called Bamboo cafe where they serve Nasi Ayam Penyet. (it was different and really nice as well)
3 comments
Thats a nice post George, I never been to pontianak, and are planing to explore that place in future, to go hiking and climb some mountain there.
ReplyDeleteOntdek onze Lounge stoelen collectie! - Tuinmeubelsale.nl - Lounge stoelen In veel Nederlandse tuinen vind je een loungeset terug.
ReplyDeleteLounge stoelen
Ontdek onze Kruimeldieven! - Witgoedsite.nl - Extra snel schoonmaken met de kruimeldief Wil je je verdiepen in kruimeldieven kopen? Deze kleine apparaten zijn erg handig om in huis te hebben.
ReplyDeleteKruimeldieven