FROM MALAYSIA TO LOMBOK, INDONESIA

12:53 AM

I made my first international travel to Lombok Indonesia.

              Lombok Island is located not far from the famous Bali, Indonesia. I have never heard of this place until one day when I was checking at Airasia webpage they have very cheap flights from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia to this little island which happened to be a neighbour to the famous BALI. I said to myself, this is a great place to explore. It shares the same ocean with Bali, beautiful islands, rich cultures and traditions and most important of all at that time, it is incredibly CHEAP and I can afford the flight tickets and expenses in Indonesia is not a big deal for me especially when I plan to travel lightly and with low budget.

            I visited this place before I have this blog that was in 2016. But now, this place has attract more and more people because Bali is becoming more expensive and crowded with visitors. It may still become a place of interest on the map but this unknown Lombok is getting its name on the rise of becoming the next Bali of Indonesia. I can tell you now, the ticket going to Lombok is more or less the same as the fare going to Bali.

          I took a flight from Bintulu, Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur on 30th July 2015. I stayed for one night in  Kuala Lumpur before my next flight to Lombok. Currently, the Airasia fly three times a day to Lombok from Kuala Lumpur. I booked an evening flight because that was the cheapest price and I needed time to get my bank cards replaced and my travel money from the bank. Flying on 31st July at 1535pm from KLIA2. Flying here only takes around 3 hours and 10 minutes.

          As usual, some international flight will require you to fill in Local Customs dept. declaration form for items and money. I bought in- flight meal as I am not bothered to go out when I arrive.Truth is, I don't really like the feeling of arriving at a new unknown place at night time. I don't get to see the view when landed at the airport etc. and you don't know if you can find any place to eat. Maybe yes and maybe no depends on where you are.

           It was already dark when I arrived at Lombok Airport. I went through immigration and they ask me where do I stay. (You have to know where will you stay when you arrive, please state the address in the form given to you on board). They were not very friendly and looking tired maybe because it was already late and they have to work evening shift. I understand.

         Before I grab the taxi ticket at the counter, firstly, I need to get a local simcard for my phone. Telkomsel SIMpati is the simcard I bought and it cost me 75,000 Rupiah (MYR25.00). It is supposed to be cheaper if you buy outside. The simcard that I have got from this counter is traveller simcard. It gives you free calling credits and free internet which is super fast and that last for two months! Yes, I am telling you the truth the internet is at high speed compare to what I have in Malaysia. Wifi is not available everywhere, so it is advisable to get a local simcard. make sure you have an unlocked version phones in order for you to use this card.

Hassle at the taxi counter!

             My first destination when I arrive at Lombok was Sengigi as it is a fine location along a series of sweeping bay and close to the beaches. Food is easy to find here. Sengigi has many guesthouse and backpackers stay to choose from. I always book early from interent because I don't want to reach there and find every places are full house. It is not a good idea to practice what you have been doing; arrive and walk-in check in because this place is getting more visitors just like other places in Indonesia.

              There's no other transportation to get to Senggigi, Lombok except for taking taxi or DAMRI bus (as for this I am not sure if you can take it from the airport, you have to get to the bus terminal from the airport I guess) Hitchhiking? I am not so sure as the airport is very far and will take you 1 hour drive. Maybe you can try if you arrive during daytime. Its better to get a taxi and it was not very expensive. Don't simply pick a taxi service, recommended are Blue Bird Group(A bit more expensive but it is good) and this time I took a brown coloured taxi- Global Taxi (maybe that was then name). I met a white lady who came to visit Lombok with his husband and she helped me to choose a taxi as she has been staying in Indonesia for many years and she speaks Indonesian. She surprised me and also the taxi service staffs. We were supposed to share the taxi fare but as they are heading to a different direction and the taxi has to be separated, I bought my own fare for RM200,000 (night rate) That was around MYR60.00. Could be cheaper if you share it between partners or with other people heading the same way.

              They will give you a receipt and using that receipt you can just follow the instruction of the taxi service staff. I think they have escorted me going out from the airport to get the taxi. You only pay the taxi at the counter and you just give the receipt to the taxi driver. You will not be charged anymore. Outside you will find many people trying to get you into their car and taxis. Just tell them, you have a ticket- this is in the case if they don't escort you outside). Don't be surprise with the honks and the way they drive here. Just have trust or have insurance. Haha..


               During my trip, I stayed at Indah Homestay not very far from convenient store and from the town centre. Every eating places, and bars are walking distance. There are so many hotels and guesthouses in the centre to choose from but I prefer this Indah Homestay as it is located further inside and you only have to walk 5 minutes to reach the main road. Great service, quiet and out of the main road. It is more to a village surrounding than a town and you feel less touristy. The place is inside a local neighbourhood. The homestay is run by Indonesian- Dutch Family. Opik the owner was married to a Dutch. And as I have arrived very late at night around 9.30pm, he waited for me to arrive. I hope they still run the place nicely. This place has no aircond and it is extremely hot during the day as it is closed to the sea but at night it is very cold. You don't have to worry about the water. It is clean clear water but not encouraged to drink directly from the tap before you boil it. They serve breakfast in the morning which is very nice Indonesian style pancake. You have to sit outside your room for them to come and ask for your order whether you want coffee or tea, toast or pancakes and fruits come along with breakfast. They will serve you whatever fruits they have on that day no options. They served bananas, papaya, and watermelon. 

          This place has a nice garden and sometimes in the evening you will get to see local kids playing in the garden in front of your room. They are friends to the owner's son (cute Eurasian kid playing like other village kids- very nice). I stayed here until the last day in Lombok. I rented a scooter from the owner for MYR15.00 (45,000IDR) per day. Maybe you can try to find a cheaper one from outside but I guess, the price range will be around 35,000 Rupiah to 45,000 Rupiah. Negotiate to get a cheaper price but I think this was a reasonable price as I just ride it the whole day, come back to the homestay and park it nicely there. Safe me the time to return it back to a service provider and walk back to the homestay.


FIRST DAY

As I have arrived very late, I didn't go out that night. I decided to rest early and have an early start the next day. The shower was located outside the room though it is still attached, it is not a confined space and you can hear people next door. The ceiling is not attach to the wall so you will feel like taking shower and being close to nature. I felt horrified when I saw big geckos and that has truly surprised me! I didn't realised it until then, that Lombok is famous for geckos. The water was very cold and it is clear water. I am not sure whether it is safe to drink but for my own safety, I rather not drink directly from tap. You can always buy bottled water from IndoMaret (Indonesia big chains convenience store). It is very convenient as you can practically see it everywhere you go in Indonesia and it is open 24 hours just like 7 Eleven. The room without aircond is still cold at night especially after a refreshing shower with cold water.



















You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Nicely written blog and will surely help me as i am planning my first solo Malaysia trip

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Flickr Images